There is no doubt that we spend a large part of our time at our workplace. With this in mind, needless to say that we (as a company) must ensure (or at least do our best) to make life at work as pleasant and happy as possible.
However, according to the National Statistics Institute (INE), 59% of Spaniards suffer from stress in their working environment. Therefore, they are not happy. This turns into stressful situations, such as the well-known burnout at workplace and a reduction in productivity. Not to mention that stress is currently the second leading cause of sick leave after musculoskeletal disorders (MSD).
An easy formula
This leads us to a simple conclusion: the more stress, the less happiness and the less productivity. Can this statement be formulated in reverse? In other words, the lower the stress, the greater the happiness and the higher the productivity? The answer is a resounding YES.
According to data from the study «Happiness and Work» carried out by the consulting firm Crecimiento Sustentante (2021), «increasing the happiness and well-being of an employee in the workplace can increase productivity by up to 80% and reduce work-related accidents by up to 300%».
How can we increase happiness at work?
Of course, we are not specialists in this area, but we can tell you a few things that work for us and that all our colleagues are happy with.
- It’s good to be grateful: Don’t take anything for granted. If someone has done a good job, let them know. It costs nothing and is worth a lot.
- Goodbye to hierarchies. It is clear that there has to be a CEO, director, manager, etc. in a company, but the point here is to bring to light that absolutely everyone is rowing in the same direction. To encourage this, we have an office without studies (with closed rooms only for meetings) and several direct communication channels so that this is done in a fluid and effective way. And we never forget that all opinions count, so we take into account all proposals from colleagues and if we have improved in recent years it has been largely thanks to these contributions.
- Mens sana in corpore sano. Nutritionists say it again and again: the gut is our second brain. At Ezzing we are aware of this and have fresh, seasonal fruit in the office every week, so that we can eat healthy breakfasts and snacks.
- There is life outside the office. We recognise this. We love to see each other in the office, but even more outside. That’s why we usually organise meals on our terrace and even once a year we enjoy a few teambuilding days somewhere in Spain.
- Time, a wonderful gift. This is something that may or may not fit your business model, but that employees appreciate and valu. For example, at Ezzing we have 6 extra days of holiday per year. There are companies like Cabify that do a «recharge day», that is, they give their employees the third Friday of the month off. There is nothing like a long weekend to come back to the office on Monday with energy and new ideas.
As we have said before, this is not a rule to follow, they are just examples of actions that work for us and are easy to implement. Today we can say that we come to work motivated and excited every day. And that is what makes this project more alive than ever.